Book Review: We Were Liars by E. Lockhart


We Were Liars -E. Lockhart

  Following all the buzz and the hype, I finally picked up We Were Liars by E. Lockhart, and let me tell you: the hype is totally deserved. This review will be split into two sections: spoiler-free and spoilers sections. 
   
I. Spoiler-free Section
  
  Of course, I went into the book blind, and that's what you should do, so I'm not going to tell you too much about this book other than the fact that it's about this rich, arrogant family who spend every summer on a private island. That's it. That's what you should know before picking up this book. 

  E. Lockhart's writing was simply beautiful. The voice she created for Cadence, the narrator, was on point for the character. Her metaphors had me gasping. 
  
  Now, I will try not to say too much about this book, but let me say this: the writing is incredible, the characters are realistic, the plot is just indescribable, and this is a book that will stick for many years to come.

 So if you haven't read it yet, what are you waiting for? 

II. Spoiler Section

  If you haven't read We Were Liars yet, what are you doing here? Surely, you're out of your mind. Now please, close this tab. 

  So, here come the spoilers. 

  Can we just talk about that ending? I'm sorry; it's too good to actually review this in chronological order. 

  I did not see that coming. Knowing the truth made me rethink the whole story. That's why they didn't answer the emails. That's why her granddad called everyone Miren. That's why her aunt Carrie walked around in the middle of the night. That's why Clairmont was renovated. It makes me want to reread the book and look for these tiny hints and details. 

  I especially love how the truth wasn't abrupt. I started to gradually discover it as Cadence told the witch story. And it was a beautiful way to tell the truth. 

  Now can we discuss their extremely stupid attempt at arson? I found that part of the whole deal pretty stupid, like a person on each floor? Starting the fire before leaving the building? Are you kidding me? And honestly, how is setting the fire going to fix anything? I get that they were rash, drunk teenagers but seriously, starting the fire without leaving the building? Like, you do know that lighting the first floor without being inside would be enough, right?

  Moving on.

  I had an issue with the name "Liars". Throughout the book, we didn't get much lying from Cadence, Gat, Miren, and Johnny. It was actually mostly Miren who lied with the whole boyfriend thing, but then again, lots of people lie. The title "Liars" didn't seem to fit for me. 

  Let's talk about the writing now. It was beautiful. Breathtaking. The fairy-tales, the metaphors... all of it was simply amazing. Take a look at this please: 

  Then he pulled out a handgun and shot me in the chest. I was standing on the lawn and I fell. The bullet hole opened wide and my heart rolled out of my rib cage and down into a flower bed. Blood gushed rhythmically from my open wound,
then from my eyes,my ears,my mouth.It tasted like salt and failure. The bright red shame of being unloved soaked the grass in front of our house, the bricks of the path, the steps of the porch. My heart spasmed among the peonies like a trout.
  I had to pause. What? 

  I started asking myself That's it? She dies? Already? But then it hit me. The heartbreak, the pain... it's a metaphor -a wonderfully crafted one, and we do see more of those phrases throughout the book.

  The way E. Lockhart projected Cadence's thoughts through the writing was very delicate. For example:
What if we could somehow stop being the Beautiful Sinclair Family and just be a family? What if we could stop being different colors , different backgrounds, and just be in love?
  Cadence is yearning for simplicity. She wants to be normal. She doesn't want her family to be special and rich and beautiful. She wants a simple family -she wants love. She wants love without its heavy packaging. 

  Again, I really loved this book. Five out of five stars. Everything just clicked together perfectly in the end and it was spectacular.

  What did you think of this book?

Comments

  1. What a great review, this is on my TBR but I read the spoiler section anyway - I like endings that make me rethink the whole book so I'm looking forward to reading this even more now.

    http://cleopatralovesbooks.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Sunday Post (October 5)

Friday Finds (August 15)