Book Review: The Giver

I cannot fathom how I've missed this book all these years. 
Don't we all wonder how a world without pain and war would be? Don't we all wish for it? It's such an important premise to consider, and Lois Lowry tackled it perfectly. 
   It's a world without any decision making. Spouses are chosen for a person, so no marraiges can go wrong. Children come from women who work as "Birthmothers" and are given to their assigned families. Humans don't feel any strong emotion such as hatred, desire or even love. Everything that makes us different is gone, such as colors. Your occupation is chosen for you, so you never fail in life. It sounds perfect. 
  But what seems like utopia slowly begins to appear as a dystopian society while the reader realizes that without sadness and hatred, we would never know happiness and love. 
  At age 12, your occupation is chosen for you, and Jonas gets selected to be a Reciever of memories where he will get to see the real world and the truth about everything. 

  This book was amazingly thought provoking, and I don't understand why it's such a "controversial" novel. Everyone should learn how important sadness and loss is to our lives and how we can't adopt this "Sameness". Avoiding decision making does not make our lives easier.

  I think everyone should read this beautiful book. Five stars.

Have you read The Giver? What did you think of it? Leave a comment below!

Comments

  1. Agree completely! I had to read the book in sixth grade and because it was assigned in school I told myself that I didn't like it. I read it again this year (years later!) and completely loved it! Great review!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Sunday Post (October 5)

Friday Finds (August 15)