Series Review: The Summer I Turned Pretty Trilogy by Jenny Hann


I completely devoured this series! Let's discuss, shall we?
I. Book 1's Importance: So first off, book 1, The Summer I Turned Pretty was your normal contemporary read. Boy starts to notice girl, girl tries to make him jealous, etc.. I was impressed definitely, but it didn't really strike me as different from other contemporaries. Yet, I held off from writing a review because I knew there was so much more to come in the next books, and I was right! Book 1 was a backbone for the rest of the series. 

II. Character Development: This is one of the few contemporaries where the characters are more important than the plot.It's just that Jenny Hann writes it in a way where you care about all the characters, and you love them all. And the character growth was remarkable. You can clearly see how the characters develop after certain events. They were real. To me, Belly, Conrad, and Jeremiah are all somewhere in this world, doing their thing. It's hard not to think like that. I just grew very fond of all of them. Even the side characters; they all underwent issues and just seeing them grow as people was amazing. A+ on the characters. 

Spoiler Section
So the ending to book three. Yeah. I was bawling which is not something I do if there isn't a character death. It's just the way she realized how stupid getting married to Jeremiah was. And then, the wonderful ending. Belly just travels and studies and lives her life and dates other people BEFORE going back to Conrad. The author didn't just go like "Okay, you're not getting married, now go back to Conrad." No. She gave her so much life to live and that was the most realistic thing a contemporary author has ever done. 

What a series. Overall 5 stars. Completely mind blown. 

Comments

  1. I also loved this book I read it last year and it was just fantastic it's one of my favorites and I agree with your review 100%

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Sunday Post (October 5)

Friday Finds (August 15)