Book Review: Before I Fall


I. Loved. This. Book. Read on to see why!
  Let me tell you this. Sam is mean, self-centered, and egotistical. She thinks she's better than everyone. It's like Mean Girls from the point of view from a mean girl. Lauren Oliver did not hesitate to explore the "mean girl" character with all the snappy quotes, moody behaviors and unacceptable actions. All of the "clique" in general was. They were so mean to everyone and they didn't really have a reason. For example, Anna and Juliet. These people seem REAL. People CAN be that mean. People DO get bullied. Sometimes it DOES lead to suicide. The characters were all so realistically crafted, and I am totally in awe of the way Oliver managed to capture them. Can we talk about how bad I feel for Kent now? No? Okay.

  Any review I write will never truly define how in love I am with his book.

"Before you start pointing fingers, let me ask you: is what I did really so bad? So bad I deserved to die? So bad I deserved to die like that? Is what I did really so much worse than what anybody else does? Is it really so much worse than what you do? Think about it."
  That's when I knew that this is going to be one of my favorite books of all time. I truly did think about it. I may have not resulted in anyone's death, but I have lied and gossiped. We all have, and Lauren Oliver makes us really think about our past. Are we really any better than the "mean girls"?

  At first, Sam doesn't really change as her day repeats itself. At one point, she took total advantage of the "no consequences because no one will remember" thing and acted in a horrible manner. But then, she's hit with a big shock, and that's when she learns what she's done and figures out who she truly is. And that was beautiful. Sam's terrible character took a turn towards the better. Sam is such a beautiful character. So complex and so wonderful. Her relationships with Kent and Lindsay were so realistic. We all have that one Lindsay -that one girl who's so absolutely mean and terrible but you love her. You love her because she was there. You love her because she's your best friend. 

  This book is absolutely beautiful and its ending made me cry. Thank you Lauren Oliver for this wonderful book. SIX STARS

Have you read Before I Fall? If so, what did you think? If not, GO BUY A COPY. 

Comments

  1. This is definitely my fave Lauren Oliver book, hands down. I read it while I was on a waiting list for Delirium.

    Glad you liked it too!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Sunday Post (October 5)

Friday Finds (August 15)