9 Reasons Why I Loved 13 Reasons Why


Despite rating the book 4.2 stars and not 5 (I had some issues with it), I have 9 Reasons Why I loved it (yay puns). Here goes.

1.  Jay Asher’s writing: Um? This is Jay Asher’s debut novel? It’s impossible. The writing was beautiful and flowed wonderfully. I was so gripped that I managed to read the book in just two sittings. 

2. Clay Jensen: I loved Clay so much. He was such a great character to read about. His inner turmoil while listening to Hannah’s tapes was just so fascinating. As a character, I loved him so much and I think Asher did a good job creating him.

3. The message: You can never predict how much something you do or say will impact someone’s life. Through this book, we get to see how things people considered “harmless” added to the “snowball” in Hannah’s life. The book shows us how careful we should be, and that’s really important.

4. It’s real: Yes, teenagers kill themselves because of things like this. Bullying does cause depression, especially if the person has no one to talk to. People need to see that.

      5. Hannah's voice: Hannah's voice is intriguing; it pulls you forward and doesn't let you put the book down, which is only a problem if you have a ton of homework due the next day...

6   6. The format: Another reason I couldn't put the book down is the appealing format. Personally, I'm a huge fan of unique formats, so this was utterly compelling!

7   7. The characters: They're cruel and mean. They're bullies. But guess what? They're REAL. People like them exist. Life does have bullies, and Asher presents them wonderfully and realistically. 

8  8. Hannah's Flaws: Hannah isn't perfect. She overreacts sometimes. She exaggerates. She ignores people. She shuts them out. She makes mistakes, and I feel like I keep going back to the same point over and over again: She's real. The whole book is, and maybe that's why I loved it so much. 

    9. The Book Overall: It was just calling out to me. I had to love it. I did have some problems here and there, but I did. I loved it, and a big thanks to Jay Asher for writing it. 

What were your thoughts on Thirteen Reasons Why?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Friday Finds (August 15)

Sunday Post (October 5)