Book Review: The Revenge of Seven

I'm confused. On one hand, I really wanted to love this book, but I don't know. Read on for thoughts.

So the Lorien Legacies was one of my favorite series around a year and a half ago. It definitely isn't a deep, phenomenal book series, but I enjoyed it because it was action-packed and fun to read about.

Yet, now, I feel like I have grown as a reader, and I just couldn't overlook the flaws in this book, but my main issue with it was how predictable it was. Back when I read The Fall of Five in 2013, I wrote down a bunch of theories on my phone. 90% of them were correct, and that was disappointing. I wanted to be proved wrong. You know how in Harry Potter, every theory you've ever had turned out to be wrong, I wanted that. I know that the Lorien Legacies are not Harry Potter, but when the entire fan-base guesses who Ella's grandfather is a year before the release of the book, you're doing something wrong.

Moreover, there is a lot of controversy surrounding James Frey and his work which I couldn't get out of my head as I watched the quality of those books degrade by each novel released. Frey also released a new (sci-fi I think?) novel, Endgame, this year which I found pretty weird, considering he didn't have much time to write The Revenge of Seven. It would be really disappointing to know that he truly does partake in such things as hiring authors for 250$ to write under his name. 

Anyway, I still love the characters I loved a year and a half ago. Six is still the same kickbutt queen we've always known and loved, we got to see Nine's softer side, Marina kept cranking it up a notch, etc... so I still managed to rate this book a 3.9 mainly for enjoyment, not the quality of the writing. 

What did you think of the Revenge of Seven by Pittacus Lore?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Friday Finds (August 15)

Sunday Post (October 5)