Book Review: ReCAP by Danielle Pearl


The more I read from this series, the more astonished I become. It's so engaging and amazing. The more I read, the more I fall in love.

If you know anything about me, you should know I'm not exactly on friendly terms with novellas that retell the same story from a different perspective (ex: I didn't like the novellas in The Selection trilogy, a series which I loved). Usually, such novellas end up adding nothing to the story, and I feel disappointed, but was that the case with this one? Definitely not. 

Seeing Normal told from Sam's perspective was heartwarming and gut-wrenching at the same time because not only did I have to experience the beautifully tragic story of Rory and Sam again, but I also had to go through that ending for the second time. It was devastating, but it just made me love Sam even more (how is that even remotely possible?). 

Yet, it wasn't only Sam I loved more. Seeing Rory from Sam's eyes, the way he describes her strength, the pride he feels because of her... it was all so beautiful. Rory is so much stronger than she makes herself out to be, and Sam makes sure to deliver that message. He shows us how amazing she is, and through that, we learn how amazing he is. 

Sam is a brilliant character. He has his flaws, yes, but it's the way he acknowledges and deals with them that makes him so dynamic. He experiences guilt whenever he's wrong. He has an ego sometimes, but he learns how to control it and knows what to do with it. He has his problems too. HE IS ONE OF THE BEST CHARACTERS I'VE Read ABOUT -period. Excuse the yelling, but I'm not lying when I say that Danielle Pearl is a genius for coming up with him and giving him all those traits and quirks and flaws. I want a friend like Sam, someone who has his inner demons and messes up, but still manages to be the most loved character in the end. 

Sam himself is a masterpiece, so what is the whole book? A gift. Because not only is it a gift to all readers, but because Danielle Pearl herself has a gift -a gift with words, characters, and writing in general. 

I've never loved a novella so much that I wanted to give it an actual review as I do for full-length novels usually, but once again, I've been blown away. I can't wait for Okay, book 2 in the series, to come out. I need it so badly.

So that is it for my review of ReCAP by Danielle Pearl. 5 stars (once again).

Oh, and I forgot to mention that my review of Book1, Normal, was quoted in the beginning of the book! Eep! You can find my review here.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Friday Finds (August 15)

Sunday Post (October 5)