Favorite 14 Books of 2014

It's that time of year again, or end of year, and after long periods of time pouring over my goodreads shelves, I've managed to choose my favorite 14 books out of the 55 I read this year (my goal was 50!). 
So come on, let's see what they are! (P.S. All books here are 5 stars, if not 6!)

14) The Maze Runner by James Dashner: I LOVED the Maze Runner, and contrary to popular opinions, I actually did not find it slow at all. (However, I have been stuck on Book 2 since July...) I try to separate books in a series from each other, and this was a good one.

13) Legend by Marie Lu: Legend is just plain amazing. It's definitely one of the better dystopians out there. Marie Lu did an amazing job with setting up the world and presenting the characters. Loved it.
12) Ignite Me by Tahereh Mafi: I read the whole trilogy in July and wasn't able to rate a single book, not even the novellas lower than 5 stars. It was so amazing and fun to read about. What stuck me about it is the major character development -Tahereh Mafi know EXACTLY how to develop a character majorly without making it seem unrealistic. I loved the characters so much, and this book was a wonderful conclusion to the trilogy. (And just look at that cover!)

11) Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins: If you're ever down or just feeling tired of heavy books, pick up something by Stephanie Perkins. She is the queen of fluffy contemporaries. They're bound to definitely lift your mood, and Perkins' description of Paris is so breathtaking. Her characters are lovable, and the story-line in Anna was just amazing. I loved this book so much.
 10) We'll Always Have Summer by Jenny Hann: I ended my summer by marathoning this trilogy, and I definitely do not regret it. I cried like a baby at the end of this book, which is the 3rd and final book in the Summer trilogy. Jenny Hann knows how to write a love-triangle that doesn't make me want to cringe. On the contrary, it just makes me groan in frustration because guess what Belly, I CAN'T CHOOSE EITHER. This trilogy is perfect. My review is here.
9) Winger by Andrew Smith: This is one of my favorite books! It's just so funny and tragic and it truly left an impact on me. The characters were some of my favorites ever, and I recommend this to EVERYONE. My review can be found here.
8) The Fifth Wave by Rick Yancey: Bless Rick Yancey. The Fifth Wave is truly, truly a masterpiece. I was hooked. It was so thought-provoking and action-packed at the same time. Full review here.
7) The Giver by Lois Lowry: Why didn't I pick this up years ago? Turns out the first dystopian is one of the best dystopians. I was so blown away. (And I did watch the movie twice yesterday). Full thoughts can be found in my review here.
6) The Truth About Alice by Jennifer Mathieu: This one left me thinking for hours after it ended. I felt like I wanted to thrust it into every high schooler's hands and scream, "Read this! Read this!" It would have been ranked higher had I not read something concerning high school bullying too and then... we'll get to that later. But you MUST read this, Now.
5) Perfect Lies by Kiersten White: By the time I finished this book, I was screaming. I kept thinking about it for days. It just left such an impact on me, and I was just mind-blown by how thought provoking it was. Breathtaking.


4) Normal by Danielle Pearl: The top 4 were very hard to order, and even though Normal is at #4, I cannot begin to describe how I felt about it (which is why you should see my review here.) Anyway, I loved it. I devoured it. I think it has something, you know? Definitely recommend.

3) The Scorpio Races by Maggie Stiefvater: What can I say? I read this gem back in January, one of my first this year, and it just stole that special place in my heart. I found it to be beautiful, and I was in love with the writing and the characters. Flawless.
2) We Were Liars by E. Lockhart: If choosing between the top 4 was hard, you should see trying to choose between 1&2. We Were Liars was my first review on this blog, and I loved the book so much. E. Lockhart strung together a story that I'll forever remember. Review here.
1) Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver: No question. This book gripped me from the start, and left me in tears. I can't start talking about it because then I won't shut up. Just read my review here.

So that is it for my favorite books of 2014! What were yours? Leave a comment below! And Happy New Year!

Comments

  1. My favourite 14 books of 2014 were very hard to choose, yet here they are:
    1- The Catcher in the Rye: An amazing book. Hooked me so hard. Taught me so many lessons. This book is so worth a read.
    2- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince: Of course, I love Harry Potter, but this book was an exception. I adored this book. This book is perfectly written, so detailed, and the character development is perfect. I love how JK Rowling showed the importance of the characters after revealing very little about them in the past books.
    3. Ballad: This book is beautiful. It's the second book to Lament by Maggie Steifvater; I was so hooked on this book and I love the lesson it taught me. This is the most intriguing book I've ever read.
    4. Percy Jackson: The Lightning Thief: This book is honestly a great book. I love the mythological twist in this book and it has got me interested in mythology for a start. I really love mythology now and its all because of this masterpiece.
    5. To Kill A Mockingbird: Perfect. I can't say any more than that.
    6. The Giver: This book is simply beautiful. The Giver's character portrays Mother Nature, in my opinion, who gave us the beauty of forests, weather, emotion, and taught us all we know about it. This book tells us that most humans' ideas on a perfect world are not as good as expected; and that we already live in the most perfect world possible.
    7. Four: I adored this book because of the point of view it was told in; I think this shows different perspectives on different things and I thoroughly enjoyed this book.
    8. The Perks of Being a Wallflower: Second time I read this masterpiece. This is my favourite book of all time. I love the struggle of growth that it shows, and this is honestly very relate-able.
    9. Where She Went: Beautiful work shown by Forman; a real change from its prequel. This book was told from a different point of view and I don't enjoy that usually; but I loved it this time.
    10. Forever: This book was beautiful. It ended mid-sentence, and it has left me pondering and in tears ever since.
    11. I Am Number Four: Magical work. I loved this book. It interested me so much, and I don't really think I've read this book; I think it read me. Incredibly intriguing.
    12. Allegiant: Brilliant end to the Divergent trilogy. The characters left an imprint on my soul and left me speechless; I witnessed the death when I was in a hair salon, and I almost shed tears. I still think the hair dresser is laughing at me.
    13. Linger: Also a breathtaker.
    14. Whatever you Think, Think the Opposite: A really funny mini-read. I really loved this. It changed my thoughts completely. This is not a story, but a lesson; a lesson worth learning.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Friday Finds (August 15)

Sunday Post (October 5)